Stuck Home? Put Your Skills to Use and Convert DVD to MP4
Wanna watch your favorite videos on mobile phones? Here we bring to light the five best options to convert DVD to MP4 in a few clicks with their pros and cons.
The entertainment industry holds no bounds to providing a seamless experience to people by all means but problems arise when your chosen media is not compatible with your device. Also, DVDs are losing value and are on the verge of extinction as MP4 has emerged as the new hero.
Its compatibility with all devices and OS makes the MP4 video format popular. Hence, it is a great idea to convert DVDs to MP4 and enjoy them on multiple devices like tablets, mobile phones, and computers without any hassle.
But you will require a good DVD converter to convert a DVD file and digitize it in the MP4 format without losing its original quality. So to have a fast and convenient DVD to MP4 conversion experience, we have discussed the top 5 DVD converters for hassle-free and joyous enjoyment. Let’s look!
Top 5 Tools to Convert DVD to MP4
Let’s find out the best software to convert DVD to MP4 in a few clicks with their pros and cons to help you understand the best one that suits your needs.
1. DVDFab DVD Ripper
DVDFab DVD Ripper is the best tool and our recommended pick to convert DVD to MP4 and other video and audio formats in a few clicks. In addition, it enables you to get seamless playback on any device, home theater, and media player.
DVDFab DVD Ripper rips DVDs to video and audio of lossless quality for home theater. The program compresses video size and preserves quality for any mobile device. With this DVD ripper software, you can also crop, trim, merge, adjust brightness, and add watermark and external subtitles to the video.
- The ONLY tool that supports the newest released DVDs
- Rips DVDs to over 1000 videos and audio formats using Customized Settings
- Supports a built-in video editor for professional-looking and personalized video while ripping DVDs
- Converts DVDs to digital files with Multitasking mode
- Enables GPU acceleration to get 50x faster DVD ripping speed
Steps to Convert DVD to MP4 with DVDFab DVD Ripper
Step 1: Download and launch DVDFab DVD Ripper software.
Step 2: Double-click DVDFab 12 and select Ripper from the option bar. Then load the source DVD to rip into your optical drive.
Alternatively, if the DVD is already inserted, you can click the Add button on the main page and navigate it.
Note: If you have an ISO file or folder, you can directly drag and drop the file into the main page.
Step 3: Tap the Choose Other Profile and select a profile. Then choose the audio tracks and subtitles you want to keep in the output video.
You can further customize the output video by setting the parameters in the Advanced Settings and editing it later in the built-in video editor. Then click Save and select the output path.
Step 4: Finally, click the Start button, and the tool will automatically rip your DVD with your selected target profile. After the task is done, you will get detailed progress reports.
You can cancel anytime to cease the process and have the option to shut down your PC, exit the program, or hibernate and do nothing once the task is complete.
2. Freemake DVD Ripper
Freemake DVD Ripper lets you freely rip a DVD to multiple formats like AVI, MP4, and MKV video files for storage and playback on different devices like mobiles, game consoles, tablets, etc., and uploading to social media sites and editing in high-quality. Also, you can embed free subtitles in ASS, SRT, and SSA formats.
- Simple, easy to use, and intuitive UI
- The program supports over 500 formats
- It supports a built-in DVD burner
- Feature-packed with multiple tools of the converter, editor, downloader, DVD ripper, and slideshow
- Limited features in the free version
- The program is compatible only with Windows 7/8 and 10
VLC is one of the most competent options to convert DVD to MP4 as its simple UI makes it an excellent DVD decoder. Also, VLC can convert DVDs to multiple formats like WMV, MP4, H.264/H.265, WebM, etc., but does not alter the conversion’s aspect ratio or loudness
- VLC works on all platforms
- Enables customizable conversion profiles
- Supports popular codes
- It lets you preview the output during the conversion
- Does not have video editing capabilities
- Cannot decrypt a protected DVD
DVDVideoSoft also makes a spot on our list amongst the freeware that can easily convert DVD to MP4, MP3, MKV, and AVI to devices including iPad, iPhones, and Apple TVs. You can quickly and effortlessly use the app to pick DVD titles, subtitles, and languages on Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10.
- The software is freeware with no ads
- Features a concise interface with simple editing features
- Supports multiple file formats
- Converts and export files in popular audio formats
- Unitary audio editing feature that crashes and shuts down easily
- Works only on Windows PC
Handbrake is another open-source and free video transcoder and DVD ripper available for Windows, Linux, and Mac OS to convert DVD to MP4 hassle-free. The program can easily rip CSS and RLE DVDs to MKV and MP4 formats. It also supports options for encoding settings, parameter tweaking, effects, and more, but it comes with practice.
- Converts videos to MP4, WebM or MKV
- Resizes video by cropping
- Adjusts audio volume level and dynamic range for some audio types
- Restores old and low-res videos
- Cannot mix multiple video clips in one video
- Creates AVCHD, Blu-ray, or DVD discs
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. Is it legal to digitize a DVD you own?
Technically, it is illegal to rip DVDs for personal use, and you may rarely face the consequences. But if you use it for educational purposes, it can be considered an exception. Anyway, ripping a DVD you own is illegal in all ways.
Q2. Can I copy the DVD I own to an external hard drive?
Yes! If the DVD is not protected, you can copy the audio and video from the DVD contents directly and paste them to your hard drive. You can also connect your hard disk drive to the USB slot on your PC and copy DVDs easily.
Q3. Can I copy a DVD to my PC with Windows Media Player?
Unfortunately, Windows Media Player cannot copy music, videos, and pictures from a DVD to your computer. Instead, you can use it to copy music from CDs only.
DVDs require conversion to MP4 for greater convenience and compatibility on other devices. We have embraced you with the top 5 freeware solutions to convert DVD to MP4 without hassle. However, considering the drawbacks of these free tools, we recommend you use DVDFab DVD Ripper as it is highly compatible with both Windows PC and Mac OS, and its simple UI makes it easy to use even by beginners.